5 Things I Learned After Surviving a Day Without My Cell Phone

Megan McCool, Staff Writer

1. There are no clocks. Anywhere.

I never realized how much I relied on my phone to tell me what time it was. Without my phone, I was walking around never knowing what time of day it was. I was no longer able to check the time during class, or to easily find out how much longer I had until I needed to head off to work.

Also, there doesn’t seem to be clocks anywhere anymore. I don’t carry a wristwatch and there are very few clocks in classrooms or hallways. For most of the day, I was walking around blindly trying to determine what the time it was.

2. I constantly see things to Snapchat my friends

There were countless times throughout my day where I saw something funny or something that reminded me of a friend. It surprised me how many times I thought to myself, “I should take a picture of that.” The easily accessible camera I carry around in my pocket is utilized much more than I realized.

3. I was more present in my interpersonal interactions

Without having my phone sitting on the table next to me, it was much easier for me to focus in on the conversation around me. I was less focused on checking my emails, texts, and twitter updates, and more focused on the people in front of me. I was fully present in the conversation. On the flip side, however, I paid much more attention to when others around me zoned out while on their phones. Oftentimes, questions would be posed to them and they wouldn’t even hear them because their noses were in their phones.

4.The ability to talk to someone is literally the push of a button away

Throughout the day, I kept thinking of things to text my friends, family, and coworkers. From simple reminders to thoughts I wanted to share with them, the opportunity to communicate with them is so incredibly easy and convenient. Without my phone, I barely spoke to people that I oftentimes speak to via my cell phone everyday.

5. I rely on it to communicate with everyone

I never truly realized how much I rely on my phone to stay in touch and in communication with those around me. It has made it so easy for me to contact people at any time. From staying in touch with high school classmates to making spur of the moment plans to go to the store with my roommate, my cell phone allows me to constantly be chatting with people aroun