The student news site of Rockhurst University

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Reclaiming the Roads: Reentering and Embracing the Runner’s World

Photo provided by Lauren Kasyjanski.

When you are young, running is fun, playful and a simple way to get where you want to be faster. Then, if you involve yourself in the sports-centered world, running can become associated with punishment. You mess up in a game? You run. You are late to a practice? You run. Trying out for a new team? You are most likely going to run. Running shifts to being thought of as a discipline, a trial and a way to prove oneself. It was not until recently, that for me, this definition changed and transformed into a hobby, a love and a passion.

How does one rekindle a relationship with running after so many years of fighting against it? It can be difficult, but I am here to tell you how I redefined and reclaimed my love for running, with the hope that you can too.

Before getting back on your feet, it is valuable to rethink and reflect on your biases or history with running. Like many things in life, relationships can change, and yours with running is no exception. Forgive running for what people, coaches or others limited it to be, and open your mind to the new world running wants you to meet. Clear from your mind from the time goals, distance requirements and demand for greatness. Instead, think of running as a gift, a fun activity and something that owes you nothing.

Once you have redefined running, get out on those roads. Run to feel good, take breaks when you feel you need them and allow yourself to go at whatever pace feels best. Let your mind wander, turn that playlist or podcast up and look at the places you pass rather than the time it has taken you to get however far you have gone.

For me, reentering the runner’s world has guided me in cultivating a positive relationship with exercise and given me countless opportunities to be active in the community. Looking beyond the potholes on the streets and uneven sidewalks, Kansas City contains an amazing environment for the running community. With cozy neighborhoods and green parks all around, there are plenty of roads to run. I find myself running through campus and the surrounding neighborhoods often, seeing familiar places and people. Another favorite place of mine to run is Loose Park where I can enjoy the weather and decent scenery.

Not only does Kansas City contain several great places to enjoy a run, but also offers various races and running groups that are easy to join and worth signing up for. There are plenty of running clubs to choose from nearby including running clubs to choose from nearby including the Kansas City Running Club, Roadrunners of Kansas City, 816 Run Club and so many more. Clubs like these allow you to join a group on your runs, find extra encouragement or maybe connect with a new friend who enjoys the same passion. Moreover, these clubs host events, 5ks, walks, and other community-based activities.

If a club does not sound like the fit for you, there are plenty of other races and running events hosted around the local area. Some upcoming races I have signed up for are the Couple Shuffle, the Andale Racing Club 5k and the Rock the Parkway Half-Marathon. Signing up for events like these is a great way to find like-minded people to run and enjoy time with.

Whatever your past relationship with running may be, it is not too late to turn the page and redefine what running is and can be to you. The roads and runners are ready for you to get out there!