The student news site of Rockhurst University

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

What’s Going On With December Graduation? – Q&A With President Cassady

President Sandra Cassady at December 2022 commencement. Photo by Rockhurst University.

As the fall semester officially came to a close, students headed home for the holidays per usual, but things may have looked a little different for those graduating this December. Rockhurst did not hold a December 2023 commencement ceremony like done in previous years. While this decision may have come as a surprise to many, students are still being honored and a short interview was held with President Sandra Cassady in attempt to answer any questions there may be.

Q: When was the decision made to not have a December commencement?

A: Although conversations began earlier in the semester, following the 2023 spring commencement ceremony, options were considered for different types of ceremonies to hold going forward. A recommendation was made before the retirement of our academic officer (provost) in early June.

Q: What were the reasons for not having a December commencement?

A: In December, the majority of students earning degrees at Rockhurst are in graduate programs and our undergraduate nursing cohorts. A decision was made to have more intimate hooding ceremonies for graduate students and a pinning ceremony for our nursing graduates. All graduates are invited to participate in the May commencement ceremony — a university-wide celebration with the Hawk Walk — something we wanted all future alumni to have the opportunity to experience.

Q: Who was involved in making this decision?

A: Commencement is an academic ceremony, so the provost and college deans were key participants in the discussion. They in turn sought input from program chairs and directors. The Cabinet approved the recommendation.

Q: Have you gotten any feedback from students and/or faculty about there not being a ceremony?

A: It is my understanding that a small number of students and/or parents called the provost’s office after the information was shared. To help in this transition year, we provided graduates an option for a commencement ceremony in Arrupe Auditorium in early November or to participate in May.

Q: Do you think this is a one-year decision, or do you think from now on there will be no December ceremonies?

A: For the foreseeable future, all graduates are invited to participate in the May commencement ceremony. Hooding and pinning ceremonies will be held in December. The schedule for the next year has already been shared. We will continue to confer degrees three times per year.

Ceremonies for 2023 December graduates will be and have been held as follows:

2023 DECEMBER ASSOCIATES AND BACCALAUREATE DEGREE CANDIDATES

Associate and baccalaureate candidates will be recognized in the May 11, 2024, commencement ceremony held at Municipal Auditorium and Hawk Walk celebration in the Power and Light District.

2023 DECEMBER MASTER’S AND DOCTORAL DEGREE CANDIDATES

December 16, 2023, ceremony in Arrupe Hall auditorium, which will include master’s and doctoral degree hooding. May 11, 2024, commencement ceremony held at Municipal Auditorium and Hawk Walk celebration in the Power and Light District.

ALL UNDERGRADUATE NURSING DEGREE CANDIDATES (completing in December 2023)

December 15, 2023, pinning and hooding ceremony in Arrupe Hall auditorium at 7:00 pm. Undergraduate nursing degree candidates will also be recognized at the May 11, 2024, commencement ceremony held at the Municipal Auditorium and Hawk Walk celebration in the Power and Light District.