The student news site of Rockhurst University

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Hawk Feature: Alfonso Esqueda

Alfonso+Esqueda
Alfonso Esqueda

When stepping onto the Rockhurst University campus for the first time, many students are filled with excitement, worries and hope for the upcoming four years. Every Rockhurst student has experienced these feelings, pondering who they will become and how they will get there, including senior Alfonso Esqueda.

For Esqueda, his first weekend on campus inspired him to lead and encourage first-time college students throughout the rest of his time at Rockhurst by becoming an orientation leader. For the last three years, Esqueda has been one of the first upperclassmen that new students see when they arrive at Rockhurst, leaving a lasting impression as they enter a new chapter of life. His dedication to the New Student Orientation Program has made him a true leader and familiar face on campus for all to see.

When reflecting on time as a Rockhurst student, Esqueda’s most impactful experiences have been during orientation weekend each year. He served as an orientation leader during his sophomore year and then as coordinator for the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Orientation his junior and senior year. Esqueda’s passion for welcoming students and their families to Rockhurst the last three years has been extremely rewarding. Each year, as Esqueda has gained leadership skills and insight, he watches a new generation embark on the journey he has been so thankful for.

Even with his involvement in the New Student Orientation Program, Student Senate, Active Minds, Pi Kappa Alpha and becoming the president of the Health and Fitness Club, Esqueda still puts his relationships and connections as a priority. As a freshman, Esqueda was challenged coming to college during the COVID-19 pandemic. He had to put intentional effort into placing himself in situations to meet other students due to the restrictions in place and many classes being online. Looking back, Alfonso is most proud of the effort he put in during that time to create friendships that have had a lasting impact on his college experience.

Even as a highly involved student at Rockhurst socially, Esqueda is also exceptionally invested in his success and his career. Throughout his college experience, the most valuable lesson he has learned was sitting in a classroom during his sophomore year.

“In my programming and analytics class, Dr. Heinrich told us that there are no dumb questions, only the ones that you don’t ask. I was not very proficient in coding at the time, so he pushed me to really be more extraverted and make sure to ask questions,” said Esqueda.

The lessons that were learned during classes at Rockhurst have enabled Esqueda to excel during his summer internship at Kiewit, an engineering and construction company located in Lenexa, Kansas. Although he was initially nervous about applying his skills in the “real world,” his confidence and initiative have already landed him a job offer with Kiewit following graduation in May. Esqueda’s commitment to academics has allowed him to take pride in his achievements and trust in his Rockhurst education.

Esqueda is the definition of what it means to be all in. He’s hard working, honorable and a great example for students to look up to. His involvement keeps him motivated to remember where he started, who he has become and where he is going.

“Fall in love with the process. It’s better to fall in love with walking than the destination. That’s how you make it further through the ups and downs,” Esqueda said as his final advice to new students during his final orientation weekend.