RU students are backing the KC Chiefs this Super Bowl Sunday

Wyatt Walker, Reporter

Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs look to their second Super Bowl in the Mahomes era after reaching their third Super Bowl in five years with Mahomes at the helm. The Chiefs take on the Philadelphia Eagles, who are looking to become the second team in NFL history to win the Super Bowl with a rookie head coach. The Eagles had a spectacular season, sharing the best record in the NFL with the Chiefs at 14 wins and three losses. The Eagles claimed the NFC East division title, NFC’s number one seed and a first round bye. They took down the New York Giants in the divisional round by a score of 38-7. In the NFC championship game, the Eagles toppled the San Francisco 49ers 31-7, after 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy left the game on the first drive due to an elbow injury.

The Kansas City Chiefs head into this football game after having quite the season themselves, finishing the season 14-3 and winning their  seventh straight AFC west title, claiming the AFC’s number one seed and a first round bye. The Chiefs took on the Jacksonville Jaguars in their Divisional round matchup. During the game, Mahomes suffered a high ankle sprain in the first quarter, sidelining him for the rest of the first half. Mahomes returned in the third quarter but was obviously bothered by his ankle. The Chiefs went on to win this game 27-20. Mahomes finished the game with 195 passing yards and two touchdowns.

The Chiefs met the Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC championship game. The Cincinnati Bengals were 3-0 against the Chiefs with Joe Burrow. Mahomes, still suffering from a high ankle sprain, was obviously bothered by it again in this game. He missed some uncharacteristic throws and was seen limping on the field between plays. Mahomes went on to throw for 326 yards and two touchdowns, despite losing wide receivers Kadarius Toney, Mecole Hardman and JuJu Smith-Schuster to injuries. The Chiefs defense held the Bengals to 20 points, which was the Bengals fewest points in a game since week five, when they scored 20 points against the Baltimore Ravens.

The Chiefs now head to Glendale, Arizona this week to play in this year’s Super Bowl. The Chiefs have now reached three Super Bowls in the last four years. This time, they’ll take on the Philadelphia Eagles, an organization that Chiefs head coach Andy Reid used to be a part of. Reid was head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles from 1999-2012. He also won the NFL’s AP coach of the year in 2002. In his tenure as Eagles head coach, Reid went 130-93, reached 5 NFC championship games and one Super Bowl in 2004. Reid was fired by the Eagles in 2012 following a season with four wins. The Chiefs hired Reid in 2013, and he has gone 117-45 in his time as Chiefs head coach.

Chiefs Tight End Travis Kelce has a familiar face on the other sideline. His brother, Jason Kelce, plays Center on the Eagles offensive line. Jason is 35 years old and was drafted in 2011 by the Philadelphia Eagles. At that time, Reid was the head coach and was “heavily involved” in getting him to Philadelphia, according to Jason. In 2013, Reid had his first draft in Kansas City. The Chiefs used a third round pick on Travis. Reid reportedly called Jason during the draft and asked him, “Is your brother going to screw this up?” This was referring to Travis’s off-field issues in college. Jason played a significant role in convincing Reid to take Travis, according to both of them. This also marks the first time in NFL history that a pair of brothers will be facing off against each other in the Super Bowl.

The brothers also started a podcast together this season called New Heights. The name refers to the fact that the duo grew up in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. The podcast has quickly shot up the charts and become the number one sports podcast in the world. The brothers have had Eagles quarterback, Jalen Hurts, as well as Mahomes, on the podcast this season. This week, the brothers released an episode with both of their parents, Ed and Donna Kelce. You can listen to any episode of New Heights wherever you get your podcasts.

On top of the Chiefs recent dominance of the AFC, there is plenty of reason to be optimistic about the Chiefs future. The Chiefs have $14 million in cap space for next season before any offseason moves, which is currently in the top third of the NFL. They also have the second most draft picks in the NFL with 11. The Chiefs have had success in free agency and in the draft in recent years as well. Notable offseason acquisitions this past season include Justin Reid, Juju Smith-Schuster, Marquez Valdez-Scantling, Trent Mcduffie, George Karlaftis, Jaylen Watson and Isiah Pacheco. The Chiefs will have plenty of money and draft capital to try to add another class of difference makers these coming years.

Super Bowl LVII kicks off  this Sunday, Feb. 12 at State Farm Stadium at 5:30pm CT on FOX. This year’s national anthem will be sung by famous country singer and eight-time Grammy award winner, Chris Stapleton, and the famed halftime show will feature renowned artist and nine-time Grammy award winner, Rihanna. As Chiefs and Eagles fans make their way to Arizona, Rockhurst students plan their own Super Bowl Sunday. Kansas City Power & Light district is always a popular place for Chiefs fans to watch games. Johnny’s Tavern has said they expect tables to start filling up at 9 a.m., so expect a large crowd.

Rockhurst sophomore Louis Keiner shared how he’s getting ready for the Super Bowl. “The Super Bowl has been my favorite American sporting event for years. It will be cool to be in the city where they have a team in it,” Keiner said. Rockhurst blue has been drowned out by Chiefs red this past week as students are wearing their Chiefs gear in anticipation of the big game.

If the Chiefs beat the Eagles on Sunday, the city has picked Wednesday, Feb. 15 for the day of the Super Bowl victory parade. The last time the Chiefs won the Super Bowl, over 800,000 people showed up for the parade, and there is projected to be even more this time around. The city is expected to spend about $750,000 to fund the parade.

The Chiefs have had an outstanding season, answering the question of how good will the Chiefs be without Tyreek Hill, in a way every Chiefs fan hoped, following a great regular season campaign with two gutsy team wins in the playoffs, with significant contributions from all areas of the field. The Chiefs will have their hands full with the Eagles but are ready for the challenge. Kansas City is ready for another Super Bowl. All eyes should be on the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday night.