The Afterlife

The Afterlife

Tyler Scroggs

Less than two months. For the seniors who’ve called the Rock home for the last three and a half years, the time is coming to graduate and to move on to the next chapter of our lives. We’ve grown up around this pop culture mentality that college represents the “best four years,” and it causes anxiety along with the repetitive inquiries as to what we plan on doing after we walk across that stage. At some point we all intend to graduate, and there a several things that we can do to ensure that we’re marketable and prepared for what the outside world has to offer.

1. Document your accomplishments. It’s important for Rockhurst students of all ages to keep track of their activities and the lessons they’ve learned out of their experiences. Of course, those often make credible lines on a resume, but the lessons and skills learned can make excellent talking points in an interview setting. Interviewers want to know what sets you apart from any other applicant. Why should you get the job? While being a Rockhurst graduate means something in the local community, jobs don’t just get handed out like candy. You have to show that you have the experience and the reputation to get the job done, and the interviewer needs to trust you.
  2. Take advantage of Career Services. There are a wealth of opportunities available through the Career Services department (headed by Mike Theobald). The RU Career Account is a great place to start looking for internships and to familiarize oneself with businesses that recognize Rockhurst students as distinguished and look for graduates of the university to fill their open positions. One can also sign up to have a mock interview conducted and recorded. You can go back and review the recording to recognize areas where you can improve your interview skills. The personnel in Career Services also review resumes and cover letters and have a wealth of experience to pull from when answering student questions.
  3. Talk to your professors. Not only do most professors have doctorate degrees in their respective fields of study, but a lot of them have experiences in their fields that make them an even more valuable resource to students. They have contacts working at related firms, and they can answer questions about what employers are looking for. They can offer ideas about improving your personal brand, and they can serve as mentors to guide you through your career journey. At Rockhurst, professors care about their students and their current and future success. They’re readily available and their wealth of knowledge often goes untapped.
  4. Take the inside track. Some would advise students to attend career fairs to find opportunities. While I think career fairs can be good experience for learning how to communicate effectively, I don’t think they turn out to be where most people find their careers. Most firms leave these attractive events with resumes they can’t tie to the person who attended them, and the odds are against job seekers in these environments. Use LinkedIn and network to find available roles that aren’t posted on huge job search engines. Your contacts can show you the inside track to apply, and, with a reference from a current employee, you tend to be set apart from other applicants. Use who you know to score your dream job. Finding a job can be challenging, but the odds are better on the inside track.

These are just a few ideas about how to begin preparing for the move from college to the commercial world. Don’t wait until a month before you graduate to be ready. Students in today’s global work environment need to be working on their portfolio from day one. It’s not sexy when you have to miss that party because you’re updating your resume, but the one of those will pay off in the long-term.

I would imagine finding a career was a motivator for most students, but priorities tend to blur when we arrive on campus. Make sure to stay true to your vision and maintain your momentum. Be self-motivated, and set yourself up for success. Like Dave Ramsey says, “If you will live like no one else, you can live like no one else.”