Rockhurst soccer prepares for Final Four matchup with Charleston

Ryan Crawford, Staff Writer and Social Media Manager

It’s been a long season for the Rockhurst University men’s soccer team. With all the hard work that has been put into a winning season, it all comes down to two more games at the NCAA Division II Final Four at Swope Park Soccer Village in Kansas City, MO.

Thursday’s national semifinal game at 2 p.m. pits the Hawks (18-2-3) against the University of Charleston Golden Eagles. The Golden Eagles (18-2-2), members of the Mountain East Conference, will be a tough foe for the Hawks.

Charleston, the No. 1 seed in their region, won their first game of the NCAA Tournament 2-0 against West Chester. They then went on to defeat Urbana 2-1 in the third round before going on to beat Adelphi in penalty kicks in the tournament quarterfinals.

Rockhurst’s road to the Final Four included victories against Southern Indiana, Drury and Fort Hays State. Throughout the three games, the Hawks were able to spread the scoring out. Five different players tallied goals for Rockhurst: Ben McDonald, Michael Panarisi, Adam Michel, Mitch Moncada and Kaleb Jackson.

Golden Eagles forward Felipe Antonio leads the team in the tournament with two goals. Will Roberts leads Charleston with 21 goals on the season. Rockhurst’s goal-leader, Jackson, by contrast, has only 12 goals in 2016.

Hawks goalie Logan Feldmann will have a tough task Thursday afternoon, as the Golden Eagles have tallied 76 goals this season. Rockhurst has only scored 48 times.

The winner of Thursday’s game will play for the Division II National Championship Saturday at noon and will face the winner of UC San Diego or Wingate.

The University of Charleston is located in Charleston, W.Va. and was founded in 1888. The university consists of about 2,100 students.

Stay tuned to the Rockhurst Sentinel for the latest updates. Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.

What: NCAA Final Four National Semifinal: Rockhurst vs. University of Charleston

When: Thursday, Dec. 1, 2016 at 2 p.m.

Where: Swope Park Soccer Village

Tickets: $15 for adult general admission and $10 for students. Free tickets are currently available through the Rockhurst University athletic department.