Rockhurst students experience learning abroad

Photo+from+Paige+Valaika+

Photo from Paige Valaika

Erika Celoni, Staff Writer

Summer: the three months when you don’t have to worry about setting an alarm to wake up for classes or stress out while trying to remember if your test was tomorrow or next Tuesday (we’ve all been there). While some Rockhurst students were slaving away working 40 hours a week trying to earn a buck, a handful of lucky students lived the envied dream life and traveled around the world.

Last summer, three of our very own Rockhurst students traveled over 5,000 miles to the beautiful city of Bologna, Italy. Seniors Dylan Brauner, John Holden, and Paige Valaika spent five short weeks studying at the University of Bologna. The students took classes such as Art History and Issues in Social Justice.  They were housed in a dorm at the university where the three of them were introduced other students from around the world.

John, Dylan and Paige with their classmates in Europe.

Although they were there for academic purposes, they were able to experience so much more. The students were immersed in different cultures, surrounded by history and overwhelmed by the beauty of what seemed like another world. When asked what Dylan’s favorite part was, he simply said the traveling. He had the opportunity to scour the streets of many other (six to be exact) European countries such as Bosnia, Czech Republic and Croatia to name a few.  “These experiences can change your perspective about the world and life in general; Studying abroad should be required of all college students,” Brauner said.

“My study abroad experience definitely taught me to try to expand my mind to multiple view points and not just see things through one lens,” Valaika said. The three Rockhurst students will have these memories and inspiring stories for the rest of their lives.

Along with sharing their favorite memories, Brauner, Holden and Valaika offer fellow students interested in a similar opportunity with a few pieces of advice:

• SPEND MONEY, when will you really get another opportunity to be there?
  • Be like Nike, and “Just Do It” – try that weird food, risk it and do that scary thing and wander with no destination.
  • Just be there – pictures are nice and all, but no photograph will do the view, memory or experience justice.

In a completely different part of the world, multiple Rockhurst students spent roughly three weeks in the beautiful and hot country of Uganda, Africa.

Rockhurst Senior Allison Phillips spoke about her life changing trip to Gulu, Uganda. Partnering with JCCC’s nursing school, Allison and three other classmates went to Uganda with the Research College of Nursing. The students specifically worked with two St. Mary’s Hospital organizations. Allison had the opportunity to work alongside two midwifery students in Gulu and learn about the privilege of working in the nursing field. Above all, Allison learned about serving with a heart full of love.

Allison got to share this love and joy with the children at the St. Mary’s Hospital in Gulu while working in the burn and pediatrics units. While they helped provide care and education for the children, they primarily played and befriended the children, creating lasting relationships.

picture1

“Participate rather than anticipate. Live fully and experience each moment as it comes,” Allison said. Allison’s advice can be applied to traveling and our every day lives.

Both groups of students engaged in incredible trips abroad this summer. While they differed in many ways, each Rockhurst student had an irreplaceable experience unlike any other. None of these students would trade in the time they had, the laughs they shared and the memories they’ll have forever this summer. So go travel; just do it, be present in the now, spend the money and participate in what life brings you.

What are you waiting for?