Students await Rockstock artists

Nicki Schebaum, Staff Writer

RU senior Jack Reid waited in anticipation with fellow Hawks on Feb. 16 inside the Arrupe Hall auditorium for the big announcement: Who’s coming to Rockstock? By the end of the night, he and many others left feeling pumped.

“I’m fired up and ready to rumble!” Reid said.

The Student Activities Board (SAB) used a performance by contemporary violinist Josh Viett as the vehicle to the big reveal of who would be coming to the annual spring concert, this year on April 29. At the end of Vietti’s set, he offered a subtle hint as to who would be coming to Rockstock, saying only the performer was a rapper.

The crowd went silent as SAB began playing a video to unveil the awaited guest. It didn’t take too long before the song “Classic” by MKTO started playing and students began cheering.

MKTO is a pop/hip-hop duo from California. Their name comes from the two members, Malcolm Kelley and Tony Oller, who met while filming the Nickelodeon series “Gigantic.” MKTO’s most popular songs are “Classic,” “American Dream” and “Bad Girls.” The duo has toured with Demi Lovato and Emblem3.

But MKTO wouldn’t be the only performer coming; as it turns out, they was just the opener.

Members of SAB then filed on to the stage for the announcement of the headliner. Simultaneously, members swirled around to spell out Hoodie Allen on the back of their matching hoodies. The students’ cheers grew even louder.

Hoodie Allen is an American rapper, originating from Long Island, New York. He is most known for his songs “No Interruption” and “No Faith in Brooklyn.” He is currently on his fifth headlining tour, this one called “Happy Camper,” promoting his second album by the same name. In January “Happy Camper” was released as a free download and is available on iTunes. Along with Kansas City, Hoodie Allen has toured in numerous U.S. cities, as well as cities in the Netherlands, Canada, England, Scotland and various other countries.

A majority of students at the SAB reveal event were excited to hear that Hoodie Allen would be coming to the Rockhurst campus.

Maggie McGartland, an RU senior, said that she was surprised it was Hoodie Allen but nonetheless excited. The general reactions after the reveal were enthusiasm and joy.

Still, not everyone had the same response.

Senior Haley Mathews’ initial reaction was “Dangit! I knew it was going to be Hoodie Allen.” She explained that she’s not into modern, techier sounding music. Mathews said that Hoodie Allen is a bit overrated in her mind, but added she enjoys one of his songs and thinks it’s pretty good. She is, however, very excited for MKTO.

You can check both of these artists out on Spotify. The concert will take place on April 29 as the wrap-up to Hawk Wild Week.