The student news site of Rockhurst University

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Talk to Thomas: Advice Column, Volume III

You asked, Thomas answered.

Q: Hi, I have met my boyfriend’s family, but I cannot tell if they like me. How can I know for sure?

A: Thank you for writing to me with this question. The first thing I will say is that I understand meeting your significant other’s parents is usually very stressful and trying to determine whether they like you can be even more so. One thing I will state to try to ease your mind is that if your boyfriend likes you (which I am assuming he does because he brought you to meet his parents) and his parents are supportive, they will try to get to know you and spend time with you regardless. Many people try to act perfectly around parents. However, I would advise you to be your natural self because that is usually when your best attributes come out. One surefire way to get them to like you is by simply engaging with their interests. People, including parents, want to have their interests acknowledged and validated, so if you talk to them about something they enjoy, they are more likely to identify with you. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in the future of your relationship!

Q: Any suggestions for making friends as a transfer student?

A: As a transfer student myself, I feel qualified to answer this question. The biggest piece of advice I can give is just to put yourself out there. Try to attend as many events as you can to meet new people. Consider joining a club or two (the English Club and the Sentinel are always open to new members). Most people will talk to you if you make the effort to start the conversation. Additionally, be the person to make plans first. Ask someone new to hangout, try a new restaurant, or go to an event together. I know this may seem scary, but chances are they are just as nervous to ask you to hangout too. I believe that if you be yourself while actively putting yourself out there, you will be successful in meeting some new friends.

Q: I have a crush on my best friend’s girlfriend, what should I do?

A: Honestly, I am not quite sure how to answer this one, chief. If it is really important to you, I would recommend telling your friend first because things will only get worse if you go behind their back. Realistically, I would just try to move on. There are other fish in the sea.

Q: Why are women so majestical and ethereal?

A: For this question I had to do some extensive research as I have no experience being a woman. I truly risked everything for the sake of getting an answer by talking to several women. It turns out, at the end of the day, they are just made like that. I am sorry I could not come up with a more conclusive answer, but that is the nature of females, and I will continue to research this.