The student news site of Rockhurst University

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Top 5 Places for RU Students to Watch Super Bowl LVIII

Alexandra Zoellner
Power & Light’s Red Kingdom Block party during the 2023 Super Bowl.

Cannot afford the $5,000+ per ticket to be there in person? Whether you are looking for a party atmosphere or a more laid back spot to watch the big game with friends, Kansas City has no shortage of options for Rockhurst students eager to cheer on the Chiefs versus the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII on Sunday, February 11. Kick-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. CT.

1.Power & Light District

Starting at 11 a.m this Super Bowl Sunday, Power & Light will host a Red Kingdom Block Party with music from the DJ duo Loud Luxury, contests, giveaways, food trucks and more. The KC Live venue has multiple large screens and a variety of places to eat and drink. For anyone 18+ looking for an electric environment to watch the game, KC Power & Light is the place to be. Buy your ticket here before they sell out!

2. Westport, KC

Just a nine-minute car ride from Rockhurst, the Westport neighborhood offers a vibrant atmosphere for students who are 21+ to watch the Super Bowl. Whether you stop at Tin Roof, Kelly’s, Johnny’s Tavern, Westport Ale House or any of the many options in the Westport area, there will be no bad vibes!

3. Campus Watch Party

A campus watch party is the best way to affordably watch the game with friends. Whether it is in a dorm common area, a THV or nearby house, you are guaranteed to have a good time celebrating the Chiefs with close friends.

4. Brookside

Just a few miles from campus, the spirited atmosphere in Brookside offers several great options for Super Bowl watch parties. A fan favorite, Charlie Hooper’s, is known to be a great sports bar because of its wide array of screens, diverse menu and community feel. Another solid option is watching in the sports-centric atmosphere of The Brooksider. With multiple viewing options, indoor and outdoor seating and quality food, The Brooksider is a great place to cheer on the Chiefs.

5. Your Bed

Maybe you care more about the commercials and the half-time show than the game? Or maybe you are so invested that you do not want to risk missing a single play? Either way, watching the Super Bowl (or not watching) from your bed offers comfortable viewing, free food and drink and no interruptions. The game will be streaming on Fubo, Paramount + and YouTube TV.

No matter where you watch, please remember to stay safe. After all, you want to be able to attend the parade when the Chiefs win to celebrate the back-to-back Super Bowl win with Taylor Swift’s boyfriend and his teammates. Go Chiefs!