Rockhurst Returns from Indianapolis: Here’s What You Missed

Nate Adamson, Reporter

As the school year comes to end, so do Rockhurst sports. The spring season is wrapping, and after a jam-packed weekend in Indianapolis for the men’s and women’s lacrosse Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) championship, here’s what you missed.

The men’s lacrosse team enter the postseason as the number two seeded team in the GLVC tournament after earning a monumental upset against number eight, nationally ranked Lindenwood University the prior weekend.

The Hawks clinch a part-ownership in the regular season as champions, a first for head coach Kevin Kelley and his staff, Cam McCulley and Brendan Surface. Kelley and his Hawks were coasting into the weekend in hopes for another dominant win to put them a game closer to the GLVC championship. Down one goal at halftime, the Hawks began their second push in hope to overtake Jim Lange and his Lindenwood Lions. However, the Lions held the door shut forcing a scoreless fourth quarter. Rockhurst men’s lacrosse fell by 7 to wrap up their season.

Senior goalie Hayden Harris reflects on the season, “[I] had high hopes going into it, and obviously it didn’t go the way we any of us had planned. Most of us recognize talent wasn’t the issue, after competing through our conference…next year is a new beginning, and I’m excited to give it on more go.” Harris will return for his 5th year and earn a master’s, after posting a dominant, 24 save game in the finale for the Hawks.

Continuing in Indianapolis, Indiana, head coach Molly McCourt and her staff led the charge for the women’s lacrosse team as they looked to further a season full of success. After closing off the regular season posting 10 victories, the Hawks were awarded a three seed amongst a conference full of national powerhouses.

Entering halftime with a seven-point deficit, the Hawks were determined to continue to fight till the last whistle. McCourt and her hawks fell short to reigning national champions, Lindenwood University.

Rockhurst sophomore midfielder, Catey Roux, who was sidelined due to a torn ACL, said, “It was one of the best seasons women’s lacrosse has had…[we] definitely played as a team.” Roux looks to become a star for the Hawks next year entering her junior season and will be a name familiar to the announcer’s come springtime.

Though a difficult end to both the men’s and women’s seasons, there were a lot of highs throughout the season that both athletes quoted mentioned. With the seniors leaving, the weight of next season and its expectations are on these student athletes as they enter the offseason with the 2022-23 seasons right around the corner.

While the men’s and women’s lacrosse team wrapped up their weekend in Indianapolis, Indiana, both the men’s and women’s tennis were also looking to make a push toward the podium. It was a weekend full of possibilities as seniors finalized their campaigns at Rockhurst. While the men’s team entered the weekend in hopes to stand high on the podium, they had fallen short 0-4 in matches to number 12 ranked University of Indianapolis. A season full of ups and downs reflect the determination and drive of this 2022 team and the expectations for a promising future.

As the women’s team took to the court, also seeking victory, coming off a hard-fought season. On top of unfinished matches, the women matched up against University of Indianapolis as well to battle it out for a spot in the semifinals. Junior Dina Dudic mentioned, “We have a lot of new freshmen that are super talented and that helped getting us there [to the tournament].” Although all their efforts, the women’s team would fall short 0-4 in matches as well to University of Indianapolis.

Though the weekend seemed to have no tremendous news, the Hawks have promising futures for the next spring seasons and expect a lot of good things to fall in line. As majority of the spring sports have wrapped up, we end out weekend with a finale for the Hawks Softball team. Sitting right at .500, the Hawks head to East Peoria, Illinois to face University of Indianapolis as well to scratch at a GLVC title. As for the Baseball team, they traveled to St. Charles to their conference championship the next weekend to finalize spring sports here at Rockhurst. Though a tough outing for Rockhurst Athletics in their championship’s series, all focus falls on Softball and Baseball as we close the season.

Make sure to stay in touch with the weekend updates for softball and baseball on the GLVC Sports Network App. Happy Summer Hawks!