Graduation: Quarantine Style?

Nick Volz

With the rapid spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, Rockhurst, like many other schools around the world, will not be hosting their graduation ceremony this spring.

Commencement for the class of 2020 was originally set to take place May 17th at 1 p.m. in the Municipal Auditorium in downtown Kansas City

Since walking across stage to shake Fr. Curran’s hand and receive their diploma is a special experience for nearly every student, Rockhurst has decided to delay their graduation ceremony until the fall semester in hopes that the COVID-19 numbers dissipate. Currently, they are planning on having the new graduation ceremony on Sept. 19, at 1 p.m. in the Municipal Auditorium. This is five days before Rockhurst will be hosting their family weekend, which will be on Sept. 24-27.

The decision to delay graduation was made over the alternative of an online graduation ceremony because Rockhurst University still wanted their students to have this special moment that many will remember forever.

As a consensus from some Rockhurst students, most of them are extremely thankful and are looking forward to walking across the stage this fall.

Jack Hitzemann, a senior and exercise science major said of the postponed graduation, “It was a big relief to hear that they were still going to host a graduation ceremony because I wasn’t even close to being ready to say goodbye to the last four years of my life so abruptly.”

Ray Dorsey, a senior and business management major, said, “Graduation has been something I have been looking forward to throughout college so I am beyond thankful that Rockhurst is still giving us the chance to experience it.”

After asking what a second chance at having graduation meant to her, senior nursing major Emma Kriete said, “It is so special to be given this opportunity. I hope seniors that come in the future won’t take graduation for granted because it was something that was almost taken away from us and is something that should always be treasured.”

Senior business marketing major Undra Wilson, said he was relieved that graduation was just postponed instead of canceled all together.

“I was super excited that I am still getting a chance to go through the ceremony because this is something my family is super proud of me for and I wanted this moment not only for me but also so they could share in it.”

During this time of great uncertainty and ever-changing lifestyles, it is refreshing to hear not everything has been shut down due to COVID-19. With a promise of graduation and hope of seeing the light at the end of this tunnel, Sept. 19 is shaping up to be a graduation ceremony that won’t be forgotten.