Three day trips you can make in Missouri for Spring Break

Theresa Gengler, Staff Writer

Did the first half of the semester get away from you and leave you with no plans to get away for Spring Break?

Worry not. Kansas City is well situated between several great places for day trips. You could taste the wines of Weston or experience the adventure of the Wild West in Missouri Town 1855.

Hermann, Missouri (3 hours from Kansas City)

What To Do

The town is known for its wineries. The local vineyards and wineries make award-winning wines, while maintaining the German heritage that brought the town into existence. Hermann boasts a location that combines the experience of several local wineries, vineyards, distilleries, and breweries dotted around the rolling hills of Missouri. If vineyards aren’t your cup of tea, historic museums and homes are available to explore as well.

Where To Eat

The area has numerous places to eat: from fresh and casual meals at Black Walnut Bistro to renowned hand-crafted bratwursts and sausages at Hermann Wurst Haus. You can’t go wrong with so many options.

Fun Facts

• The town used to have the biggest general store between St. Louis and Kansas City.
  • The German settlers of Hermann planted vineyards because they were unsure of what else to do with the land.
  • Buildings weren’t updated, originally, on account of a lack of funds leading up to the Great Depression.

Weston, Missouri (45 minutes)

What To Do

The Weston Historical Museum offers insight into local history from the prehistoric era through World War II. Admission is also free! The Holladay Distillery and Pirtle Winery are home to famed bourbon and unique wines filled with history and relaxation. McCormick on Main is the home to the oldest distillery west of the Mississippi that is still operating in its original location.

Where To Eat

Green Dirt Farm Creamery is host to delicious cheeses, ice creams, cheese and meat boards and sandwiches. For a taste of BBQ check out Tin Kitchen. If you prefer a unique bistro-style dining atmosphere, Avalon Cafe is the way to go.

Overall Atmosphere

• Historic
  • Wineries

Marceline, Missouri (2 hours)

What To Do

This small town of 2,200 is the hometown of Walt Disney and hosts a home-town museum with unique collections of Disney family letters and other exhibits. The North Missouri Arts Council is a not-for-profit that displays art from across the Midwest. Marceline also has a nine-hole golf course with green fees as low as $20.

Where To Eat

Ma Vic’s has the best comfort food in town and is located along the main drag, North Kansas Avenue. For a great start to your day check out Cafe Marceline.

Overall Atmosphere

• Small-town pride
  • Friendly

Interested in joining the Sentinel staff? Reach out to our Editor-in-Chief, Ryan Crawford, at [email protected] to see how you can get involved.