Hazardous winter weather expected again overnight in Kansas City

Ryan Crawford, Editor-in-Chief

After a winter storm that left ice and sleet on the ground made roads slick early Tuesday, prompting the cancellation of classes and activities at Rockhurst, another round of a wintry mix is expected overnight Wednesday and into Thursday morning.

The National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill, Mo. is calling for up to two-tenths of an inch of freezing rain in the Kansas City area. The region could see up to an inch of snow and sleet, as well.

Wednesday brought cold temperatures to the area, which limited the amount of melting that took place. Any ice Wednesday night and Thursday morning could cause additional trouble to tree limbs and power lines that still have ice accumulated on them.

The National Weather Service expects Thursday morning’s commute to be hazardous.

Jeff Penner of KSHB-41, the local NBC affiliate in Kansas City, writes that “if the forecast pans out and confidence is high, then yes, there will likely be many, if not all, schools closed” in the area. The station expects roads to be slick for the Thursday morning commute.

Students, faculty and staff should keep in touch with email, social media and the Rockalerts textcast system regarding any potential university closures on Thursday.