The student news site of Rockhurst University

The Sentinel

Turkish Food Fest comes to Kansas City Saturday to celebrate Turkish culture

Image via Shawnee Community Christian Church

Erin Spelger, Staff Writer

This Saturday, Oct. 7, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., the second annual Turkish Food Fest will take place at 4215 Shawnee Dr. The festival is less than 20 minutes from the Rockhurst University campus. The free event celebrates Turkish culture with Turkish and Central Asian food, activities and live entertainment.

The food provided is traditional and authentic, all guaranteed to be homemade. Some of the food items that will be featured at the event are kebobs, gyros, baklava, Turkish pizza, and Turkish coffee.

The planned art and cultural activities include water marbling demonstrations, Turkish calligraphy art and henna tattoos performed by Turkish artists. Artwork and other items will be on display and available for purchase as souvenirs or gifts. Local and Turkish musicians are planned to perform traditional, Turkish classical music. Turkish folk dancing will also be featured.

Local and Turkish musicians are planned to perform traditional, Turkish classical music. Turkish folk dancing will also be featured.

Admission is free, but If you plan on attending it is recommended that you RSVP via email. You can also visit the website at turkishfoodfest.net for more information or to contact the event coordinators.

This event is organized by the Raindrop Foundation, which is a non-profit organization active in six states. Their goal is to encourage the understanding of diverse cultures by offering easy-to-access experiences for communities to interact with Turkish traditions. Partnered with the Embrace Relief organization, the Raindrop Foundation has opened shelters and donated resources to provide Hurricane Harvey relief.

What: Turkish Food Fest

When: Saturday, Oct, 7, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Where: 4215 Shawnee Dr., Kansas City, KS 66106

Admission: Free