The student news site of Rockhurst University

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Gluten-Free Near Me

The gluten-free diet began taking off as a trend in recent years with many people believing that the diet leads to a healthier, thinner, better lifestyle. However, this was not the case for me. Going gluten-free was not a choice, but a necessity. Being diagnosed with celiac disease was a challenge, but thankfully, Kansas City made the transition to a gluten-free world easy as can be. Whether you are also gluten-free or just a local foodie, follow along here where I’ll be sharing some of my personal favorite gluten-free spots around the Kansas City area that are worth the try.

Tree Hugger1841 NW Vivion Road Riverside, Missouri 64150  

A hidden gem located in Riverside, a northern part of the Kansas City area, Tree Hugger is a vegan restaurant that also offers many delicious gluten-free options. Tree Hugger is courteous of those, like me, with celiac disease and cook the gluten-free meals in a separate space safe from contamination. My personal favorite from Tree Hugger is the Chick’n Salad Sandwich on gluten-free bread of course! I also enjoy a side of the Tater Tots – something I am not able to order gluten-free at many restaurants.

The Littlest Bake Shop645 E 59th Street Kansas City, Missouri 64110

Located right off Holmes and 59th, not far from Rockhurst, The Littlest Bake shop is a dedicated all gluten-free and vegan bakery. Although it is a bakery, they still offer some amazing breakfast dishes, and without any gluten being made in shop, The Littlest Bake Shop is always a safe option. My personal favorite to order is the Fresh Herb Tofu Scramble, which comes with a delicious side of Roasted Potatoes and Greens.

Lulu’s Thai Noodle Shop – 2030 Central Street Kansas City, Missouri 64108

With several location around town that can serve almost everything on the menu gluten-free, Lulu’s Thai Noodle Shop is the place to be. Although they are famous for their noodles, my favorite dish they offer would have to be the Crab Fried Rice. I like to substitute the crab for crispy tofu, which they mix in with jasmine rice, egg, scallions, yellow union, cucumber, and top off with cilantro. Lulu’s is a great traditional Thai restaurant to try out the next time you are craving some great flavors.

Pizza 515060 Oak Street Kansas City, Missouri 64112

Are you a pizza lover like me? Pizza 51, just a few blocks away from Arrupe Hall, is an amazing Kansas City local pizza shop. Offering a 7” Gluten-Free Personal Pie and several salad options that can be modified to be gluten-free, this pizza shop is my go-to. As a veggie enthusiast, I prefer the Veggie Delight as my pie of choice, but the Classic Cheese pizza is also amazing after a long night. Within walking distance of the university, Pizza 51 is the answer for your next pizza desire.