Spooky season is here: costume ideas & local Halloween attractions

Rockhurst campus with Halloween decor

Nate Adamson and Danielle Barry

As college students, the days of trick or treating are done, and the meetups in neighborhoods to compare candy stashes are over. However, Halloween for Rockhurst students is about much more than the leaves changing color.

Being a smaller college, Rockhurst students and faculty are able to see everyone in their costumes and relish in the fun that surrounds coming up with a costume. The process may be confusing and chaotic for some, so here is a list that will give you some starting points to create the best costume this Halloween.

Our costume ideas:

• Character from show you’ve been binging
  • Ketchup/Mustard
  • Bob Ross
  • Cop/Prisoner
  • Cowboy/Cowgirl

Halloween is a time to express creativity through costumes, take part in fun festivities and enjoy a night of fun. The most creative tend to be the best and the funniest.

Rockhurst senior Grace Barry gave us some insight into her plans for Halloween and her costume ideas.

“I’ve always loved Halloween. I plan on going as a Wilson, from Castaway. Hopefully it will get some laughs,” Barry said.

Whether it’s funny or clever, the process of coming up with a costume is 90% of the fun. You don’t need to come up with your own unique Halloween costume, although it’s more fun that way; the internet has all your answers. Readers Digest’s 100 Easy Halloween Costumes You Can Make Last Minute that will hopefully give you some ideas.

Although costumes are a large part of what make up Halloween, the activities you plan to do justify the reason for your creative, fun and far from normal outfit.

The gift of living in Kansas City as college students presents us with a wide variety of things to do. Whether it be a night on the town, hanging out with your friends or visiting a haunted house, all these activities are within close driving range and offer something for everyone to enjoy.

Luke Goetz, a senior here at Rockhurst, gave insight into what his plans would consist of on Halloween night.

“I’m pretty excited. I think a good group of us are going to the Haunted Houses downtown,” Goetz said.

Though Halloween falls on a Monday, many students still plan to have their fun.

If you’re still looking for plans on this upcoming Halloween, Visit KC has you covered. Haunted Houses in KC offers a list of houses and what tickets include. If you’re not interested in that kind of scare, Worlds of Fun hosts a Halloween Haunt with festivities and rides for everyone to enjoy.

The weather is becoming colder, the leaves are changing color and Rockhurst students are preparing for another successful Halloween. Whatever your costume or plans may be, indulging in some Halloween spirit is good for the soul and will bring a night of fun. From the Rockhurst Sentinel Staff and Rockhurst University, we wish you a Happy Halloween and as always, be safe.