Fun fall activities in KC to try out this season

Check out the Louisburg Cider Mill!

Alex Zoellner, Reporter

With the fall semester finally in full swing, homework and tests are beginning to pile up, but don’t forget to take a moment and enjoy the season amidst your studies. Watch as the trees transform into vibrant reds and yellows, take time to smell the crisp autumn air, and check out some of the best fall activities in the Kansas City area to help give your brain a break.

The Louisburg Cider Mill

To really get in the fall mood, grab your friends and head out to the Louisburg Cider Mill. With a beautiful rural setting, you can relax and enjoy the autumn weather while trying a variety of their delicious homemade treats. They are known for their warm cinnamon-sugar cider donuts and of course their apple cider, which can be served hot, cold or even in slushy form. You can even walk through the pressing barn and watch as the apples are pressed to create your favorite treats right before your eyes.

“The cider donuts are amazing,” freshman Lars Yarkosky said, “I had never been before, but I’ll definitely go back again next fall.”

The fun does not stop there, however. Every weekend, the Louisburg Cider Mill features live bluegrass music artists and a variety of food vendors. So enjoy the music on stage and explore the cider mill because there is something for everyone to appreciate.

Edge of Hell Haunted House

On a scarier note, fall also marks the start of spooky season. Just 10 minutes away from campus, students can escape reality at the Edge of Hell. The Edge of Hell is a nationally acclaimed, five story haunted house that is bound to leave you frightened. It features terrors ranging from Rat man, vampires, hounds of hell, and stone-cold crypts, to the devil chasing you on your path to purgatory. Just when you think it can’t get any scarier, the Edge of Hell takes pride in showing off the Guinness World Record’s longest living snake.

For those who love a thrill, this is the perfect way to take a break from midterms and get ready for Halloween. But be sure to bring a friend, because you won’t want to go through the Edge of Hell alone.

Chiefs Games

What screams fall more than a good old-fashioned game of football, and what better place to watch than Kansas City? Being the home of the 2020 Super Bowl Champions and the loudest outdoor stadium in the world, a Kansas City Chiefs game never fails to be a good time. Watch as Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce chase another championship and entertain their city at Arrowhead Stadium.

“Chiefs games are my favorite part about living in Kansas City,” freshman Lauren O’Connor said, “I try to go to a game every year, but I always watch them in my dorm room with my roommate when I can’t go.”

If you are lucky enough to score tickets to game, join in a fun pregame tailgate before getting to experience a true taste of Kansas City pride by watching one of the best football teams in the nation. However, NFL tickets may not always fit in a college student’s budget so there’s no saying you can’t watch the game from the comfort of your couch on your study break. Whether it is in the dorm lobby, your apartment, a THV, or your house, grab some popcorn and watch the Chiefs make Kansas City proud.

Pumpkin Patches

Last, but certainly not least, is a more standard fall tradition – pumpkin patches. Lucky for you, there is no shortage of them in the Kansas City area including Pumpkin Valley, Carolyn’s Pumpkin Patch and Johnson Farms Plants and Pumpkins. They are all less than a half an hour away from campus and filled with fun activities.

In your spare time, visit a local pumpkin patch and enjoy all the fall favorites like corn mazes, hayrides and petting zoos. Don’t forget to grab a pumpkin and take it home to carve or for decoration. A pumpkin patch is the perfect way to relax from your schoolwork and experience a longtime fall tradition.

Fall is a special time in Kansas City and there are plenty of activities to help enjoy the season. So make sure to get your schoolwork done, but don’t miss the opportunity to explore the city while the weather is still nice!