Women’s Volleyball Season Update

Pete Turner, Reporter

The Rockhurst women’s volleyball team have officially made it two-thirds of the way through the 2021 volleyball season, and your Rockhurst Hawks have shown that they are among the GLVC’s top tier. Rockhurst is tied for fourth in the GLVC standings with a 6-3 conference record and tied for first in GLVC’s West division. The 13-8 Rockhurst Hawks have proven to be unbeatable at home this year, winning 15 of 19 sets and eclipsing a 5-0 record at the Mason-Halpin Field House. The Hawks face nine more GLVC opponents this year before the GLVC Volleyball Tournament occurs on November 19. 

This successful season begins with the phenomenal blocking defense that has been a staple of the Rockhurst frontline all year long. Between having five players with at least 40 blocks this year and leading the way is Justice Wingate with 71 blocks; her 1.16 Blk/Set is top two among the entire GLVC. The Hawks dominance up front has them leading the conference in blocks. 

Averi Vomastic has led offensively this year with 279.5 points scored and 235 assists, which is the fifth most in the conference. The Hawks’ dominance upfront continues with the skill of Connor Morgan and Tera Reberry who have combined for 297 kills and 109 blocks. Sophomore libero, Maureen Reilly, has been a core piece of the defense with her team high of 353 digs. She also leads the team with 24 aces this year. The setting duo of senior Gabbie Inman and sophomore Sarah Montague each have over 340 assists this year. These Hawks have been hot, and if they continue to win at home, and beat the teams they should beat like Quincy, Truman State, William Jewel, and Drury. here was a 2-3 loss to Drury earlier this year in Springfield, but one has to think this Hawks team should roll through this part of the schedule. The only road game against this slate of teams comes against a seven win William Jewel team.The Hawks have won three of their last four games and look to build on that momentum this weekend with a 4-17 Truman St team and an 11-10 Quincy squad coming to Rockhurst this Friday at 3 p.m. and Saturday at 7 p.m. Later this month, the Hawks will host the number 24 nationally ranked and conference top-dog, Lewis in Romeoville on Halloween Eve.