What is Rockhurst’s “Guide to Neighborhood Living?”

Graphic created by Kori Hines on CANVA

When applying to a university, most students must decide whether to live on campus. For most incoming freshman, it would be the first time they have ever lived away from home—an experience that can help a student grow and expand their knowledge but can also be frightening.

Being involved in the community around campus is important, and so is safety—which is why Rockhurst has created a “Guide to Neighborhood Living.”

The instructional guide is concerned with how to live safely in the 49/63 Neighborhood (located between 49th and 63rd streets and from Oak Street to Paseo Boulevard), how to build positive relationships with individuals who live around you, and how to become involved in different activities and organizations associated with Kansas City.

Being Active & Proactive

Being Active and Proactive: an important aspect of community for an individual and those around them. This diverse area of the 49/63 Neighborhood provides opportunities for students to be active on and around campus. Most Rockhurst students live either on campus or in Troostwood (north of campus) or Troost Plateau (south of campus). The guide encourages students to volunteer and reach out to their neighbors to build community.

Everyone in the community plays a role in maintaining its wellbeing and safety. The guide acknowledges the importance of reporting crimes and suspicious activity, including informing law enforcement and warning neighbors.

Respecting Yourself and Others

Respecting oneself and others plays a role in building a successful neighborhood. Being responsible for one’s actions keeps the area safe and shows respect for the community.

The guide asks students to refrain from using illegal substances and drugs, and engaging in underage drinking and binge drinking—keeping safe individuals and those around them.

Respecting others also involves recognizing that neighbors may have different opinions, beliefs or religious ideals—but that should not prohibit living in a community together.

Being Mindful

The guide encourages neighbors to not litter and to clean up after themselves whenever possible. Keeping the community clean provides a safe place for residents and may provide safer areas for children to play.

Loud noises can be a distraction. Students may be studying and families spending time together, so keeping noise levels down provides everyone a more ideal environment in which to live.

The instructional “Guide to Neighborhood Living” lists these tips, a list of numbers for neighborhood resources and other forms of assistance.

Interested in joining the Sentinel staff? Contact our Editor, Kori Hines, at [email protected] to see how you can get involved.