The Sentinel

A spoiler-free film review of “Endgame,” an interwoven plot line with all hits and no misses

Back to Article
Back to Article

Graphic by Kori Hines

Graphic by Kori Hines

Graphic by Kori Hines

Graphic by Kori Hines

Stockton Grunewald, Staff Writer

The final installment of Marvel Studio’s sprawling Infinity Saga, “Avengers: Endgame” opened to a welcome reception this past weekend.

In its first three days, the film had soared over its’ competition, grossing $350 million in North America and over $1.2 billion worldwide, shattering Box Office records to become one of the most successful films of all time, even when adjusted for inflation.

The acclaim is well-deserved. In this spectacle, stakes are raised to unprecedented levels and the film brings viewers to a tear-jerking and satisfying conclusion—an end that fifteen years ago would have seemed unfathomable.

“Endgame” picks up with the universe where it was left one year ago—with half of it in ash. The discombobulated detachment of surviving superheroes stumble their way back to the Avengers’ headquarters in upstate New York. Meanwhile, unlikely onscreen duo Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) drift aimlessly in space, hoping for deliverance.

The most daunting challenge for both the filmmakers and the audience in “Endgame” is managing the story of more than a dozen characters, each with an individual history—and many with their own film. And do not get me wrong: “Endgame” tells its story exceptionally well, but audiences should be somewhat familiar with most, if not all, of the titles before stepping foot in the theater.

Endgame tells its story exceptionally well, but audiences should be somewhat familiar with most, if not all, of the titles before stepping foot in the theater.”

The 3-hour run-time is attributable to the film’s juggling these interwoven plot lines—with some entries into the Marvel world that date back to films from eight years ago.

Nevertheless, all plots must converge. When the final battle rises, the decade-long wait is made worthy. The 30-minute brawl ranks among the best I have seen in film. There is no doubt that your favorite superhero will have at least one quip or interesting moment you’ll love.

There are elements of “Endgame” that may leave you scratching your head, but for all intents and purposes, I doubt you will care. This film marks the end of an era—a well-crafted crux of a franchise with almost all hits and no misses.

Interested in joining the Sentinel staff? Contact our Editor, Kori Hines, at [email protected] to see how you can get involved.