Annual “RU After Dark” lit up campus for one prize-filled night

Graphic by Kori Hines

On March 29, the Office of Residence Life hosted their annual “RU After Dark” event in the Convocation Center. The event included glow-in-the-dark roller skating, a photo booth, carnival games, food and prizes.

The event was open and free for all Rockhurst students, but students had to sign a waiver in order to skate and sign in with their student ID upon arrival. Free roller skates were provided.

Decorations included glow-in-the-dark bracelets and necklaces, and balloons filled with confetti – transforming the gym and setting the mood.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Half of the gym was turned into a skating rink, while the other side offered games like Just Dance, Mario Kart, bowling and carnival games. Students received raffle tickets for participation in the games and for winning. Unlike last year, students could win up to 10 tickets per station, and each station had a 2-ticket minimum.

The DJ played music that ranged from today’s top hits to 2000s throwback songs.

Several students, including sophomore Mi’Kayla Taylor and freshman Tamyra Brown, emphasized that it had been such a long time since they skated, they had to remember how to do it.

Students were invited to participate in games on the skating rink including “4-corners” and a version of musical chairs called “freeze roller skating.” Between games, students entered raffles, earning prizes like Cinemark movie tickets, a Keurig K-mini coffeemaker, a FitBit Blaze smart watch, a $25 gift card to Minsky’s Pizza and a Nintendo Switch.

Sophomore Camryn Keaton won three prizes, sophomore Amy Chen took home the Nintendo Switch prize.

Whether learning how to skate again, eating food or playing games, “RU After Dark” was the place to be that Friday night.

Interested in joining the Sentinel staff? Contact our Editor, Kori Hines, at [email protected] to see how you can get involved.