Ask Iggy: Here are the best coffee shops to explore in Kansas City this summer

Iggy Jo, Advice Columnist

Summer’s just around the corner, which means it’s time to start hunting for a coffee shop to help yourself stay refreshed while you read your favorite book.

The National Coffee Association says that 54 percent of Americans over the age of 18 drink coffee every day, with an average of 3.1 cups per day, surmounting to an astonishing 587 million cups. In college students tend to rely on coffee to get us up in our morning classes, keep them studying through the day and help fly through papers at night. Although most of them might have a Keurig or coffee pots at home, some like to venture to the relaxing atmosphere of coffee shops to study.

Here are some of the best coffee shops to grab some coffee and settle into. Included are recommended drinks from each shop and the approximate cost. These are ranked based on their distance from campus.

No. 1: Starbucks – Main Street, Country Club Plaza

Cost: $

Benefits: Both locations have free WiFi, ample seating and table space. As this is a franchise, they have similar menus created with the same ingredients. On Main Street, you can sit at the charging table, where they provide chargers to replenish your battery for tunes. They also have two long tables, ample room to spread out all your books and study sheets.

Recommended drinks:

• Iced Caramel Macchiato for a smooth, heavily caffeinated beverage
  • Chocolate Chip Frappuccino for a textured, sweet (and high-calorie) coffee beverage
  • Passion Tango Tea for the non-coffee drinkers (free refills for your duration there if you are a gold member)

No. 2: Kaldi’s Coffee – Country Club Plaza

Cost: $

Benefits: Both locations are located on the plaza, so you are able to look out onto some beautiful views. There is free WiFi and seating space if you come before the rush.

Recommended drinks:

• Iced Vanilla Latte for a light coffee drink with ample caffeine
  • Masala Chai for a creamy tea with a little spice kick

No. 3 The Roasterie – Arrupe Hall, Brookside, Main Street

Cost: $

Benefits: Huge plane on top of the building at the downtown location and coffee tours for $5 are offered when you want to take a break. This location has a bright seating area and is not normally too crowded. In addition, they have free WiFi and a couple outlets scattered around.

Recommended drinks:

• Crunched for Time Coffee for a white chocolatey brew with a macadamia nut undertone
  • Peach Smoothie for a cold, tart and sweet blender

No. 4: Mildred’s Coffeehouse – Downtown KC

Cost: $$

Benefits: They have free WiFi, but not much seating space with outlets. This coffeehouse is close to the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts, so when you’re done reading, you can walk around the Crossroads area. They have an abundance of lunch items (salads and sandwiches), and if you get a punch card, you can work your way up to a free coffee.

Recommended drinks:

• Iced Latte with whichever one of their 13 syrups (including fruits, chocolate, or nutty) pleases your palate
  • Strawberry Banana Smoothie for a classic flavor that doesn’t contain milk for those who are lactose intolerant

No. 5: Made in KC – Downtown KC

Cost: $

Benefits: Large area with ample seating for reading. Beautiful areas with an abundance of pastry choices to try with your drink. They have the classics for coffee, but they have perfected the ones they do have. The only downside is the parking, so be sure to watch the signs on the roads to avoid parking citations.

Recommended drinks:

• Iced Latte with Vanilla Syrup for a flavorful coffee with milk
  • Matcha Green Tea Latte for the non-coffee drinkers