Students Encouraged to Attend Non-Profit Speed Networking Event

Meghan Kilkenny, Editor-In-Chief

On Wednesday, Nov. 2, the Rockhurst University Non-Profit Speed Networking event will take place in the fishbowl (the Massman Gallery).

“We are trying to invite all students,” Lester Guzmansaid. Guzman is a senior at Rockhurst with a passion for non-profit leadership. The Non-Profit Leadership class, taught by professor Jenny Rinella, partnered with RU Career Services and the Center for Service Learning to organize the event.

Students in attendance will have the opportunity to network with representatives from multiple non-profit organizations, including Harvesters, Girl Scouts, YMCA and more.

“It’s a good experience to network with employers. Even if you aren’t studying non-profit, this is a great opportunity to develop your networking skills,” Guzman said.

There are roughly 1.4 million non-profit organizations in the United States, with more than 7,500 in Kansas City. According to the Ivy Business Journal, non-profit leaders should be strategic thinkers, effective relationship builders and inspiring motivators.

“Students should come ready with an elevator pitch,” Guzman said. While networking events may be intimidating to some, they are a great opportunity to practice for job interviews and professional events.

There are still spots available at the event. Students interested in attending the event should contact Julia Vargas via email at [email protected].