Commencement ceremony to be held at 1pm today

Katrina Bergman, Staff Writer

Saturday, May 14th is here. At 1pm today 2016 Rockhurst graduates will begin to walk across the stage to receive their diploma.

For some hawks graduation seems exciting, a chance to transition into the working world and become an alumnus of Rockhurst. Other hawks are saddened because their college journey is coming to an end. Graduation is the culmination of hard work, insistent change, and new connections. Many never thought the day would come, older students always warned that college flies by. No matter how you are feeling or what year you are here are a few helpful tips that may just ease your mind a little.

Get to Municipal Auditorium by 12pm. 

Marshals will begin lining students up in alphabetical order by degree at this time, so make sure you are in the  Municipal Auditorium foyer by 12pm at the latest. The ceremony itself begins at 1pm, so make sure to have friends and family there by then.

Have a plan to meet after the ceremony. 

The Hawk Walk begins immediately after the ceremony, which leads students to Kansas City Live! Make a plan to meet family and friends at a certain point along the route, or at a certain place in the Power and Light District.

For After Graduation

Network with your professors.

This may seem like a no brainer but it’s something many people forget. Your professors are your allies, they want you to succeed. In the future, they may be able to offer some advice, connect you with someone, or share something useful. Connect with them in person and online.

Find permanent housing.

Graduation, career searches, debt, and just everyday life may be the only things on your mind. However, do you know where you are going to live after you graduate? Start looking now. Kansas City has a lot of housing options. Renter’s rates are usually lower in the winter and early spring. Apartment complexes raise their rent as the weather warms up. So get on it now.