A Different Way of Thinking: Innovation

Jansen Rouillard, Staff Writer

As we move deeper into the Digital Era, the idea of “innovation” is becoming increasingly appreciated as a household term. That includes many students and faculty at Rockhurst, for whom the need to find new ways to approach innovation is vital for success in the future.

Innovation is commonly understood as changing the approach to something by introducing new methods, ideas or products. For Risa Stein, a psychology professor and director of the campus’ newly formed Innovation Academy, it is also about “being able to apply creativity and imagination with an end goal in mind, even if you’re not sure what that end goal is.”

But before students, or anyone, can fully embrace innovation, there’s a need to first understand why innovation is so important to incorporate into their lives at all.

Often, students view the end goal of attending college as to graduate with a degree that enables them to get a job in their desired field. With this in mind, the need for innovation specifically references the need to prepare for jobs that haven’t been created yet, according to Stein.

Michael Frazzetta, a junior psychology major and founder of Innovate at the Rock, a campus program that fosters innovative approaches to education, entrepreneurship and social change, believes that innovation drives progress in society.

“No matter what career field you choose, there is always a need for people who can develop efficient and creative solutions,” Frazzetta said.

Many students, like Frazzetta, point to many tangible benefits that an innovative mindset brings. For Frazzetta, “Innovation has significantly increased my critical thinking ability and the level of creativity that I use when confronting tasks in the classroom, campus and community.”

Speaking of confronting problems, Stein and other faculty say that Rockhurst is in a unique position as a university to innovate in novel ways, beyond the traditional subjects of technology or entrepreneurship.

“Most people see innovation in [traditional ways], but there is a big segment of innovation that fits Rockhurst’s mission perfectly, and that is with social justice and social innovation,” she said.

While people often associate innovation with entrepreneurship, it is often one of the biggest misconceptions about innovation. “Entrepreneurs do use innovation to create products, but anyone can benefit from an innovative mindset,” said Frazzetta.

Rockhurst students are no exception to this rule, and the university provides many opportunities for its students to get involved with developing their innovative mindsets., including the launch of the Innovation Academy.

Beginning with the fall 2017 academic semester, incoming students who sign up for the Innovation Academy, one of five such new academies, will have the opportunity to see innovation at work. It will also give current students the opportunity to develop their own personal definitions of innovation by getting involved.

Beyond the Rockhurst campus, Frazzetta sees signs of innovation all across Kansas City.

“The community around us holds many start-up competitions and seminars that are generally free to attend,” he said.

While physical programs like the Innovation Academy and Frazzetta’s Innovate at the Rock are tangible approaches to innovation, innovation is built in the mind. Innovation is all about thinking differently and solving the problems of a 21st century world with unique ideas. To Stein, innovation is not only thinking different about a problem, but changing the way that we think altogether.

“Ultimately, we all need to come together and understand how we can work with one another to develop all sorts of wonderful approaches and designs,” she said.