Rockhurst Service Immersion Trips Offer Students a Different Type of Spring Break

Paige Valaika, Staff Writer

Every year Campus Ministry offers students the chance to trade in their Spring break swimsuits and flip-flops for work boots and gloves to participate in a Rockhurst Service Immersion trip, and this year was no different. After months of preparation, students finally attended their respective trips over spring break. For the week, Rockhurst sent faculty and students all over the globe, including the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Jamaica, and also right here at home in the U.S. in Philadelphia and New York City.

Rockhurst Service Immersion trips not only focus on getting students to completely dive into the site’s service projects, but also the unique culture. The service focuses on projects that create sustainable and lasting benefits for the people living in the area such as building water lines, homes and latrines, and working in schools, clinics and agricultural production. The educational aspects inform students of the culture as well as the political, social,and economic circumstances that create the difficult situations people of these areas must face every day.

Service Immersion trips are a unique opportunity given by Rockhurst that exemplifies the Jesuit Mission in the formation of men and women with and for others.

A big thanks to all faculty staff, and students that represented Rockhurst this past Spring Break. If interested in participating in a Service-Immersion trip go to http://www.rockhurst.edu/campus-ministry/service-immersion-trips/ to learn more or contact Bill Kriege.