Rockhurst community prepares for weekend ice storm

A winter storm is forcing changes to the operations of Rockhurst University this weekend.

Ryan Crawford, Staff Writer

Many Rockhurst students are weary of the word “ice” after hundreds spent hours on nearby interstates trying to get home for Christmas break.

Much of the Midwest is expected to be victims of Winter Storm Jupiter (the National Weather Service began naming winter storm systems in 2012). For the Kansas City area, anywhere from one-quarter to about one-half of an inch of ice is expected. Much of the ice is predicted to fall from Saturday evening until Sunday afternoon. An ice storm warning is in effect from 6 p.m. Friday to midnight Monday.

Dr. Matt Quick, Vice President for Student Development and Athletics, sent an email to Rockhurst students with information regarding operations for the university this weekend. Rockhurst “will continue normal operations” for the remainder of the day Friday, according to Dr. Quick.

No classes will be in session on Saturday, though, Dr. Quick said in his email. The men’s and women’s basketball games against the University of Illinois Springfield will be played, however. The campus library and dining services will maintain normal dining hours on Saturday.

All Rockhurst offices will be closed Sunday and “all programs and activities will be canceled with the exception of Mass at 6 p.m. in Mabee Chapel,” Dr. Quick said. The Martin Luther King, Jr. interfaith prayer service will be held as scheduled at 1 p.m. Any alterations to the service will be announced to students via email by 8 a.m. Monday.

Freezing rain began to fall around Rockhurst at about 10 p.m. Friday. Area sidewalks and untreated surfaces were beginning to get slick.