Hawks cast a vote

Meghan Kilkenny, Editor-In-Chief

Along with millions of Americans, Rockhurst students took to the polls (or the mailbox) to vote in the 2016 presidential election. While the majority of students voted for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, some voted third party and some didn’t vote for a presidential candidate at all.

“I couldn’t decide between the lesser of two evils,” said a senior student from St. Louis. “I’m unsure how I feel about the results but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have someone in office who hasn’t been in politics their whole life.”

A freshmen student from Kansas City said that she voted for Donald Trump for many reasons, one of them being her belief that the country needs to increase boarder control. She also expressed her excitement about having someone in office without a political background. “I’m excited about a new point of view in office. He doesn’t have a political background which I like.”

John Holden, a senior from Jefferson City, described his post-election feelings as pain and sadness. “I thought she ran a better campaign. She had her weaknesses but Trump had more,” said Holden.

“I am sad because I thought we had a different path for the U.S. I think trump will have a  less progressive plan for the environment,” said Holden. “When it comes to the environment, it’s easy to write it off because you can’t see it (climate change) immediately.”

No matter who they voted for, each student interviewed agreed that they are accepting the election results and moving forward. “First and foremost you should find a way to accept the election and not look at it as the world is going to end, but look at it as a way for you to make a change,” said Holden.

‘It is what it is. Now we have to look on the positive side,” said Lexi Boschert, a senior. “I’m shocked and I think everyone is shocked. It’s something different and change can be good.”