5 Things to Know About the Kansas City River Market

Katrina Bergman, Staff Writer

Kansas City is home to an eclectic group of art, food, and music. One hidden gem that I uncovered last fall was Kansas City’s Historic City Market. Located less than 15 minutes from the Rockhurst campus, this market offers a wide variety of Kansas City culture. Famed with the name “where the locals go” this market place has called Kansas City home for almost 150 years. Local vendors, small businesses, and farmers gather every Saturday and Sunday. This is definitely a go to spot if you want a taste of Kansas City. This market is huge and can be overwhelming, but with my five tips you will be well on your way to enjoying this gem yourself.

1. Prices get lower. The City Market is open year round, from 7 A.M to 3 P.M. As you can imagine the market is busiest when it is warm. This market attracts hundreds of people every weekend. There are dozens upon dozens of different types of locally grown produce. The market competitively prices their produce. However, the later you come to the market the lower the prices become. Vendors do not want to waste any produce, they want to sell as much as they can. That means, as two o’clock rolls around many vendors lower their prices in order to sell more. This means more yummies for you at an amazing price.

2. Didn’t bring cash? If you are like me, you know it isn’t realistic to always have cash on you. If you can plan ahead, get out some cash to take with you. Most vendors prefer cash over anything else. However, do not fret! There are two vendors in the market that take debit/credit cards. These vendors are happy to take your cards without any kind of special charge or minimum, which is great!

3. Over 7 different countries of food represented. Want to try different food from countries other than your own? The City Market offers over seven different types of food. Ethnic foods from places including Mexico, Africa, and South America are represented. What a good way to taste new food at an affordable price. Burrito Bros. is no exception to a mouthwatering Mexican food experience. Chipotle may have some competition. The City Market is a hub for a cultural mixing pot of deliciousness.

4. Looking to score a deal? If you are looking to get some really good produce at a really good price, check out the small inlets inside the market. Vendors price these produce really cheap in order to sell them before they get bad. Entire bowls of tomatoes, potatoes, and apples sold at $1 apiece. These produce are ripe and ready for your next recipe. Often sold in large quantities you may even be able to share with friends or freeze them until later.

5. Bring something to carry all your produce in. Bring a sturdy bag in order to haul your healthy shopping trip home. While vendors provide plastic shopping bags, if you are like me you are probably going to need a little more support. Cantaloupe, watermelon, and cabbage can get heavy after a while so plan accordingly. Buy the heavier items last. Hauling the items from market to parking lot to your fridge is more work than you think. Take a strong bag, you’ll thank me later.

Kansas City’s Historic City Market is definitely worth checking out. Whether you want to try new food, soak in some Kansas City culture, or stock up on locally grown produce, the market has something to offer for everyone. With these five tips you can enjoy the market just like a local.