Student Spotlight: Tamara Santos

Student Spotlight: Tamara Santos

Rachel Triplett, Staff Writer

Being a Rockhurst student, it’s expected to have to give presentations from time to time, and, usually, those presentations are delivered in English. For most, standing up and speaking in front of people is intimidating, even when utilizing one’s native language. Some Rockhurst students though face and even greater challenge when English is not their first language.

One such student is Tamara Santos. Santos is a first year student from San Luis Potosi, Mexico and is majoring in International Business. This is her first time living in the United States; she came to Rockhurst to play tennis and get a great education all at the same time.

Santos has found that she really enjoys being at Rockhurst.

“The people here are very understanding, they really care about you and I’ve made some very good friends,” said Santos.

While adjusting, she has noticed some significant differences between here and her home. Santos commented that everything about the U.S. is different than Mexico, for instance, it’s much colder here, the food is different, and so is how you greet people.

“In Mexico, your friends meet you with a hug or a kiss on the cheek, so it was weird when I first came here. I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to say ‘hi’ to everyone. It was kind of awkward, but I guess I’m just in the process of adapting,”said Santos.

She said that she often gets homesick, and that it is difficult to be away from her family and traditions. However, she said she knows that this is a wonderful opportunity for her to play tennis, and get a good education.

This semester, Santos is taking a business class at Rockhurst. One of the assignments was to give a presentation on a Wall Street Journal article of the student’s choosing. For Santos this would be the first time she gave a presentation in English.

When asked about that day, she said she was taught a valuable lesson on not being so hard on yourself.

“I was really nervous! I really didn’t want to give it because I had to talk for three minutes in English and I was so not ready for that,” said Santos. “But then I understood I’ve been living here for only one month and a half, so I shouldn’t put that kind of pressure on myself.”

With her unique background and big heart, Santos has so much to offer Rockhurst.

“I’ve learned so much in so little time. I’m so happy and thankful to be here and experience life in a different perspective,” said Santos.