Nonprofit Leadership Studies Provides Student with Experience

Rockhurst+student+Morgan+Coil+%28pictured+bottom+left%29+attended+Alliance+Management+Institute+this+past+January.+Coil+is+a+member+of+the+Nonprofit+Student+Leadership+Association.+

Rockhurst student Morgan Coil (pictured bottom left) attended Alliance Management Institute this past January. Coil is a member of the Nonprofit Student Leadership Association.

Kayt Dahn, Editor-in-Chief

Morgan Coil came to Rockhurst to pursue her dream in Nonprofit Leadership Studies. Since coming to Rockhurst this past fall, she has attended and joined many different programs that this track offers.

“I came to Rockhurst specifically for this degree and haven’t been disappointed since,” said Coil.

While she’s only been at Rockhurst for a short time, she has found her place in the nonprofit world. Coil quickly joined the Nonprofit Student Leadership Association (NSLA). This organization offers students different professional development opportunities, allows for them to participate in service projects and fundraising activities, and provides them with networking events.

“I was able to participate in a speed networking event where I was able to enrich my interview skills and find volunteer and intern opportunities,” said Coil. “Throughout the semester I was able to participate in service projects sponsored by the nonprofit program such as Catholic Charities USA.”

This past January, Coil was able to attend the Alliance Management Institute (AMI), which took place in Salt Lake City, Utah. According to the AMI website, they are “the only national conference experience expressly designed to prepare college students for a career in the nonprofit sector”.

“I gained insight from CEO’s and was able to participate in a real life case study with the Cholangiocarcinoma foundation. It is truly an honor to be able to be a part of such an incredible program,” said Coil.

NSLA has plans to further grow the organization.

“I’m especially looking forward to the revamping of the Nonprofit Student Leadership Alliance,” said Coil. “Our team has really great ideas to further develop the education and experience of the students in our program. I feel lucky to be a part of it.”