Unpaid Internships May Become Part of the Past

Megan McCool, Staff Writer

As the academic year quickly comes to a close, college students all over the country are making plans for their summers. For many, this season means more than working the typical summer job such as a lifeguard or nanny.

Instead, many students at the collegiate level are searching for employment that will not only be a resume builder, but also provide hands on, real world experience that will ultimately help them in their future careers. For many, this opportunity manifests itself in the form of an internship.

Interns have played a crucial role in the American workforce for decades. From the work of indentured servants to apprenticeships, internships have been a right of passage for many young people. The practice of paying interns for their work, on the other hand, is a much newer concept- a concept that seems to be taking hold on employers across the country.

A growing debate has emerged surrounding the ethics of an unpaid internship.

In a 2010 class action lawsuit, former unpaid interns at Fox Searchlight Pictures claimed they were not fairly compensated for the work they did on the set of the film Black Swan, which made over $300 million. Federal Judge William H. Pauley III agreed with them, and ruled that the film company violated minimum wage laws by not compensating the interns for work that could have been done by a paid employee. Pauley’s ruling has had an important effect on the culture of the internship, and caused employers in all business sectors to rethink their practices.

Because of class action lawsuits like this one, and the many others that have followed, it seems that the practice of not paying interns is on the downslide. Amy Scott of marketplace.com reports that despite this decline, the practice of unpaid internships is still deeply rooted in all types of work, including everything from publishing to scientific research.

On the other hand, many argue that the value of an internship exceeds that which can only be found in a paycheck. Internships provide important experience and insight that isn’t always available in an academic setting.

According to Shelly Oliver from Rockhurst University’s Career Services, internships are highly beneficial for students. “It’s an investment in your future,” Oliver said.

In addition to the hands on and real work experience interns gain, internships also provide students with a great deal of insight into their own futures. For instance, Oliver notes that it provides students with networking opportunities, experience in a professional work environment, and whether or not a student truly does like the field they are hoping to become a part of.

Nina Disbennett, class of 2016, echoes Oliver’s points. “Internships give students an opportunity to get experience in their field they wouldn’t receive otherwise. Plus, it gives you the chance to see if you like the field you’re going into,” Disbennett said.

In fact, internships have continued to be a vital part of the career path for college students and recent college graduates. Many believe that it has become a requirement for recent college graduates seeking employment. For instance, a recent National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) survey showed that companies prefer to higher graduates with internship experience.

One way colleges and universities are helping their students get an edge on their competition is by requiring students to complete an internship. Many times, this occurs when different programs of study require students to complete an internship in order to fulfill the requirements for their desired major. And much of the time, these internships are ones that are unpaid. This requirement forces students to benefit from all of the opportunities available to those who have had internships, but many critics argue that forcing students to find an internship is morally questionable.

These opponents argue that students should not have to pay tuition to their colleges while working an unpaid internship. In other words, it is wrong to require students to pay for an internship in which they oftentimes are not compensated. Oliver acknowledges that this criticism is a fair one, however, she insists that internships can provide students with invaluable knowledge that would not be available to students in a classroom. When students immerse themselves in the professional workforce, they are able to learn much more than they would in the classroom.

Allison Martin, class of 2016, studies Criminal Justice at Rockhurst. In order to fulfill her major requirements, she needs to complete an internship in her field of study. Currently working under a Victim Advocate in Kansas City, Martin finds value in being required to complete an internship- paid or not.

“I know a lot of people who never really got around to getting an internship before they graduated, so if it’s required students will definitely graduate with at least a little experience,” Martin said. “There are a lot of internships that are unpaid, so even if I wasn’t required to get an internship from Rockhurst there’s still a pretty good chance I would have had an unpaid internship anyway.”

When searching for an internship, it is important to consider if an unpaid position is economically feasible. For many people from low socioeconomic backgrounds, committing to an unpaid internship is not in the cards.

Founder of the Fair Pay campaign, Mikey Franklin, tells marketplace.com’s Scott, that not paying interns plays a significant role in continuing a division of class for people trying to enter the white-collar job market.

Anytime you post an ad for an unpaid internship, you’re writing ‘Poor people need not apply’ in big letters at the top,” said Franklin.

Oliver agrees that people from a low-income background are at a clear disadvantage when faced with the option of an unpaid internship.

“Unpaid internships definitely hinder non-traditional students,” she said.

Still, Oliver maintains that students should apply for internships regardless of whether or not their universities require it. Oliver said, “If internships aren’t required, students should still seek it out.”

Oliver does warn that if students are not being paid for their interning, they should be aware of the laws regarding internships. Internships should take the role of an apprenticeship- it’s more than fetching coffee or picking croutons out of a salad.

“Most importantly,” Oliver said, ”internships should benefit the intern, not the company.” There are five other requirements spelled out by the US Department of Labor that companies must follow when employing interns.

If any Rockhurst students are partaking in an unpaid internship, they can receive university credit through Career Service’s Cooperative Learning Program.

With the rising importance placed on gaining meaningful internships, the debate concerning the legality and ethics of an unpaid internship will continue to be a hot button issue for students, educators, and employers alike.